As remote work continues to grow in popularity across multiple industries, employees are quickly finding that having the right communication technologies at their fingertips is vital to helping teams stay connected and productive. Meanwhile, on the front lines, workers providing critical services are stretched thin, and they too are seeing increased need for reliable tools to help them continue to do their jobs quickly, effectively, and safely.
For example, healthcare workers need quick access to accurate patient information to effectively triage and treat patients. In grocery stores and other essential retail stores, associates need to be able to check inventory, complete customer transactions quickly to limit person-to-person contact, and efficiently pull product to ensure people get what they need in a timely manner—from daily essentials like food and toilet paper to computer equipment for work-from-home arrangements.
As the world mobilizes its workforce in unprecedented ways, we’re seeing an increased dependence on mobile communication technologies to empower workers—in hospitals, in essential stores, and at home. However, the quality and reliability of the mobile devices can mean the difference between getting work done quickly or wasting time fighting with tech that doesn’t hold up to the demands.
Below are 5 factors to consider when choosing mobile device technology to empower your mobile workforce.
1. High Voice Quality – Voice quality is critical to maintaining effective, reliable, and timely communication. Degradation in audio quality can reduce communication efficiency and lead to missed or incomplete information. For example, when callers are forced to repeat themselves multiple times or talk over one another due to poor call quality, not only is time wasted but the breakdown in communication can also result in costly errors.
Voice quality is not just a feature of the mobile device itself; high voice quality also depends on a strong, reliable connection between the device and the Wi-Fi network. This is where comprehensive and enterprise-ready wireless plans come in handy to ensure crystal clear, uninterrupted communications.
2. Dependable Internet Connectivity – A strong, reliable Wi-Fi connection prevents low quality audio and missed or dropped calls that can hamper productivity and slow the delivery of critical services. In addition, your network infrastructure must be able to deliver a consistent experience so that phones stay connected from anywhere in the building with no dead zones.
With an enterprise-ready WiFi system, your mobile devices can provide valuable data about your network’s performance and give you the tools you need to optimize your network and actively monitor user experience on the Wi-Fi network to ensure optimal connectivity. In addition, our Certified Wireless Engineers offer solution implementation and maintenance services to help you deploy a robust and reliable communication system.
3. Rugged Mobile Devices – On the front lines, frequently repairing or replacing damaged equipment wastes precious time and dramatically increases the total cost of ownership for each device. In many enterprise applications and especially in healthcare, mobile phones are often sanitized with harsh chemicals and are prone to being dropped on hard surfaces, both of which can damage or destroy consumer-grade electronics.
Instead, choose a rugged, enterprise-grade mobile device that is built to withstand the demands of the job and can be thoroughly sanitized one or more times each day.
4. Correct Applications for the Job – Enterprise mobile devices are a vehicle for accessing key information and tools for the job—from updating health records at a patient’s bedside to fulfilling curbside pickup orders at retail outlets. Whenever you deploy a smartphone fleet, be sure to also evaluate the applications you are running on the devices to ensure they too are empowering your users to do their jobs effectively.
5. Long-lasting Battery Performance – Phones running out of battery or needing to be recharged frequently can reduce work quality and productivity. Ensure uptime and keep your mobile workforce connected by evaluating phone battery and charging capabilities.
A true hot swappable battery can help reduce downtime due to low power. Phones with true hot swappable batteries are equipped with an integrated backup battery. If the removable battery is drained, users can seamlessly swap in a fresh battery without shutting off the phone and dropping an important phone call or interrupting their workflow. Be sure to keep an appropriate inventory of spare batteries and power supplies in an easily accessible location to further improve uptime.
For more future-forward recommendations, contact SMG3’s mobility specialists to schedule an in-depth assessment of your current system.